The computer cannot understand English or any other common language. The internet is a network of such computers that do not understand the language that the common man understands. This means that a domain name typed in like www.yourdomain.com will not mean anything to the computer. This domain name that you type in needs to be translated into a string of numbers for the computer to understand it. This string of numbers is called IP Address. It looks like this: 220.127.116.11.
It is not easy to remember a string of numbers like a domain name. Hence, we use domain names that we can understand and those domain names have corresponding IP Addresses that the computer can understand. But if this has to work, then every domain name should be translated into an IP Address that the computer understands. This translation is done by Name Servers. A name server is familiar with a domain name and their corresponding IP Addresses. Name Servers are also called Domain Name System Servers or DNS Servers.
All the information from all the name servers around the world is stored in a central registry. It takes between 8 and 48 hours for all the information to be updated in the central registry when a new domain name is registered. Name Servers from around the world can access this registry and when the domain name is requested, they can get the corresponding IP Address from this registry.
A domain name, when registered, needs at least two name servers. These are usually ns1.nameservername.com and ns2.nameservername.com. Here, “nameservername” is the name of the server. The first one is the primary name server and the second one is the secondary name server. The secondary name server acts as a backup that comes into effect only when the first name server is not responding.
Certain steps need to be followed while registering a domain name. These may differ a little depending on the registrar, but most of the steps are the same.
If you need to register a .com domain name, the steps are given below :
1. You get an account with the domain name registrar when you register a domain name. Log into your account with the registrar.
2. You will see an option to manage your domain name within your account console.
3. Select the domain name for which you want a name server. This will open a page for managing the domain.
4. Select “add name servers” on this page under the name server details section.
5. Enter the name and IP Address of the new name server and click on “Add”.
6. You should get a confirmation message indication that you have added a new name server once you are done with registering it.
7. Normally, you can start using the new name server immediately.